Description of Beta-hydroxybutyrate
BHB are known as Beta-Hydroxbutyrate which is a naturally found ketone that is produced inside our bodies. The free fatty acids are then broken down inside the liver. What you need to know about ketones is that they are a source of fuel many people utillize on a keto-based diet (high fat, moderate protein, and low carb). The benefits of a keto diet are that it provides satiety, helps protect against certain diseases, and is a great fuel source for those who cannot tolerate carbohydrates well.
Function of Beta-hydroxybutyrate
Supplementing with BHB Salts provides many benfits. Some of the most talked about benefits are:
1. It’s a “Super fuel” of your body. Provides instant alertness and energy to the brain.
2. Enhances athletic performance and endurance.
3. Decreases food cravings/increases satiety.
4. Improves insulin sensitivity and normalize blood sugar levels.
5. It is a powerful antioxidant and has a potent muscle-sparing effect.
6. Source of necessary minerals/electrolytes along with the ketones.
Application of Beta-hydroxybutyrate
β-Hydroxybutyric acid is able to cross the blood-brain-barrier into the central nervous system. Levels of β-hydroxybutyric acid increase in the liver, heart, muscle, brain, and other tissues with exercise, calorie restriction, fasting, and ketogenic diets. The compound has been found to act as a histone deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitor. Through inhibition of the HDAC class I isoenzymes HDAC2 and HDAC3, β-hydroxybutyric acid has been found to increase brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) levels and TrkB signaling in the hippocampus. Moreover, it has been determined that β-hydroxybutyric acid mediates the effects of exercise on BDNF levels in the hippocampus. These findings may have clinical relevance in the treatment of depression, anxiety, and cognitive impairment.