Introduction of quillaja saponaria extract
Quillaja saponaria, the soap bark tree or Soapbark, is an evergreen tree in the family Quillajaceae, native to warm temperate central Chile. In Chile it occurs from 32 to 40° South Latitude approximately. Populations are found even 2000 m (6500 ft) above sea level. Quillaja saponaria can grow to 15–20m (50–65 ft) in height. The tree has thick, dark bark, smooth, leathery, shiny, oval evergreen leaves 3–5 cm long, white flowers 15 mm diameter borne in dense corymbs, and a dry fruit with five follicles each containing 10-20 seeds.
The inner bark of quillaja saponaria can be reduced to powder and employed as a substitute for soap, since it forms a lather with water, owing to the presence of a glucoside saponin,sometimes
distinguished as quillaia saponin. Quillaja saponaria extract also applied as an agricultural spray adjuvant. The same, or a closely similar substance, is found in soapwort (Saponaria officinalis), in senega root (Polygala senega) and in sarsaparilla; it appears to be chemically related to digitonin, which occurs in digitalis. The wood is used in cabinetry, and scents derived from the tree are used in perfumes and cosmetics.
Function of quillaja saponaria extract
1. Saponaria can eliminating Expectoration;
2. Saponaria can treat Chronic bronchitis;
3. Saponaria can treat Diuresis.
Application of quillaja saponaria extract
1. Quillaja saponaria extract has a long history of medicinal use with the Andean people who used it especially as a treatment for various chest problems.
2. Quillaja saponaria extract is used as a food additive and as an ingredient in pharmaceuticals, personal care products, and fire-fighting foam.
3. Quillaja saponaria extract is used as additive for photographic films and foaming for drinks.
4. Quillaja saponaria extract helps to stimulate the production of a more fluid mucous in the airways, thus facilitating the removal of phlegm through coughing.
5. Quillaja saponaria extract is also considered to have adjuvant properties for vaccine solutions. QS21 adjuvant is a saponin obtainable from quillaja saponaria extract.