Description of bacopa monnieri extract
Bacopa is a genus of 70 - 100 aquatic plants belonging to the family Plantaginaceae. It iscommonly known as Waterhyssop (or Water Hyssop, though this is more misleading as Bacopa is not very closely related to hyssop but simply has a somewhat similar appearance).
Bacopa monnieri (waterhyssop, brahmi, thyme-leafed gratiola, water hyssop, herb of grace,Indian pennywort) is a perennial, creeping herb native to the wetlands of southern India, Australia, Europe, Africa, Asia, and North and South America. Bacopa has traditionally been employed as a neurological tonic and cognitive enhancer, and it is currently being studied for its possible neuroprotective properties.
The leaves of this plant are succulent, oblong and 4–6 millimeters thick. Leaves are oblanceolate and are arranged oppositely on the stem. The flowers are small and white, with four or five petals. Its ability to grow in water makes it a popularaquarium plant. It can even grow in slightly brackish conditions. Propagation is often achieved through cuttings.
Function of bacopa monnieri extract
1. Bacopa Moniera Extract is commonly used as a remedy to improve memory and learning problems. It also improves one's concentration and makes the brain sharp.
2. This neurological effect of Bacopa Moniera Extract , has led to it's modern use as a natural treatment for the disease ADHD i.e. attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
3. Another use is that the phytochemicals which are found in the leaves of this herb are the ones mentioned above. These are saponins, flavonoids, alkaloids and betulic acid, which have specific effects in the human body and are responsible for the health benefits. Read more on flavonoids health benefits.
4. Bacopa Moniera Extract , which is rich in the saponins consists of one such, enhances the body's antioxidant defenses. It does this by increasing the production of certain enzymes that stimulate the activity of these antioxidants.
5. Another health benefit of the Bacopa Moniera Extract is that it helps maintain the structural and functional integrity of the membranes surrounding the mitochondria.
6. Bacopa Moniera Extract also defends the health of the gastrointestinal region by raising the mucosal defensive factors around and inside the tract.
Application of bacopa monnieri extract
1.Bacopa Monnieri Extract is a traditional treatment for epilepsy and asthma. Bacopa Monnieri Extract has antioxidant properties, reducing oxidation of fats in the bloodstream.
2. In reaching, bacosides A enhance antioxidant defenses, increasing superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT) and glutathione peroxidase (GPX) activity.